From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:41:32
1 On Tuesday 17 July 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > > The TiVo thing was completely within the word and spirit of the
3 > > GPL.
4 >
5 > It was *barely* within the word, and definitely not within the spirit
6 > of the GPL.  Don't beleive me?  Ask anyone at the FSF or RMS himself.
7 >  They wrote the thing.
8
9 TiVo did just that and got the A-OK signal and thumbs up from the FSF's
10 lawyers. Sometime later, someone had a hissy fit, FSF reversed their
11 stated position and suddenly Tivo becomes spawn of satan.
12
13 Tivo had no option, their content providers would never have given them
14 a license to redistribute content without the mods they did, and the
15 shareholders would never have approved of Tivo trying to go against the
16 content provider's conditions. So, they obeyed the rules and as a
17 measure of thanks RMS rubs elephant shit all over their faces.
18
19 It's not the software that is crippled, it's the hardware. I'm not a
20 USian and don't own a Tivo but I imagine it's similar to tv decoder we
21 have here locally - heavily subsidised. It's built to do one thing
22 well - record and display TV shows. If you don't like the business
23 model Tivo came up with, then don't use the Tivo service. After all
24 it's a TV decoder, not a kidney dyalysis machine....
25
26 According to Alan Cox, the thing has a bog-standard IDe drive in it. If
27 you remove it, stick it in a bog-standard pc and power up, it boots
28 just fine. So, in what way have Tivo removed people's freedom as
29 granted by the GPL?
30
31 alan
34 Optimists say the glass is half full,
35 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
36 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
37
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
40 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list