From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HowTo rebuild everything same way differently
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:36:31
1 On 10/04/2015 19:29, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > ok, the subject: is something "helpless"... ;)
5 >
6 > Before I screw up everything ... better ask:
7 >
8 > My Gentoo system is kinda "old"...not in the sense
9 > of not being updated regulary but in the sense of
10 > "used for a (too?) long time"
11 >
12 > Therefore I want to reinstall everything the same way (read: same
13 > application and system funktionality) but in a different way: Using
14 > a new stage3 (was it "3" ...dont remember exactly) and I want to make
15 > the system "unstable" right from the beginning just to check, how that
16 > works.
17 >
18 > The only thing I dont know: How?
19 >
20 > What is the best (sanest) way to acchieve what I want in the most
21 > efficient (time) way?
22 >
23 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
24 > Best regards,
25 > Meino
28 So you want to reinstall?
29 Right now you have an arch system and want the new one to be ~arch?
30
31 1. Have enough free disk space to hold the entire new install
32 2. Create partitions/disks/volumes/whatever for the new system
33 3. Follow the Gentoo install docs and install into this new volume
34 4. Copy all portage config files (/etc/portage/*, world) to new system
35 5. Chroot into new system as normal
36 6. Cleanup/remove old system. How to do this is left as an exercise for
37 the reader.
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com