From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is this a new kernel bug? Or not.
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 22:35:40
1 On 04/15/2015 01:47 AM, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> it tries to read from the floppy and prints an error message to the console
5 >
6 > No. The kernel does not do this. It is either udev or some other
7 > part of your init system which does this.
8 >
9 >> "mount" at a bash prompt, and then spams the screen
10 >> with errors about /dev/fd0.
11 >
12 > And again it is not the kernel. Obviously, it is the
13 > bashcomp shell scripts which do it in some case, here.
14 >
15 >> Could/should kernel patch number 38 really introduce new behavior?
16 >
17 > It might toggle that for some reason e.g. /dev/fd0 was not visible
18 > or accessible before. (Or at least not in the way how udev and
19 > bashcomp expected to access it.)
20
21 I've been wondering about this new behavior of "mount" and I'm still
22 puzzled why "mount" or bashcomp or udev or the kernel or anybody else
23 needs to poll the physical devices to find out which filesystems are
24 mounted.
25
26 The kernel must know at *all* times which filesystems it has already
27 mounted, right? Wrong?