From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libGL symlinks vs `eselect opengl`
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 16:19:29
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 20:33:00 +0200 Davyd McColl wrote:
4 > The other day I installed Celestia for the entertainment of my son, who is
5 > delighted with anything stellar / planetary. Celestia wouldn't start up,
6 > and, long-story-short, I tracked down the issue to the symlinks:
7 >
8 > /usr/lib64/libGL.so
9 > /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
10 >
11 > which ultimately point to
12 >
13 > /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2.0,
14 >
15 > provided by media-libs/mesa. Naturally, I assumed I'd made a mistake with
16 > `eselect` at some point, so I checked with `eselect opengl list` and found
17 > that, as expected, my selected opengl implementation was nvidia. Just in
18 > case, I switched over to xorg-x11 (mesa) and back again, but this didn't
19 > fix the problem.
20 >
21 > Manually redirecting these to /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so
22 > (provided by x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers) works, however, of course, portage
23 > doesn't know anything about this, so the update I received today for
24 > media-libs/mesa reverted these symlinks back to pointing at mesa libs.
25 >
26 > So the questions I have are these:
27 > 1) Am I reasonable in expecting `eselect opengl` to maintain these
28 > symlinks? I feel like it's a reasonable expectation, but perhaps there's
29 > just yet another thing I have to learn / understand.
30
31 No, eselect opengl works differently. It uses /etc/env.d to alter
32 LDPATH and OPENGL_PROFILE environment variables. It also changes
33 xorg.conf.
34
35 So you may need to restart your X server and source /etc/profile in
36 active shells for changes to take effect.
37
38 > 2) Should I be logging a bug (against eselect, or perhaps celestia, since
39 > this is the only app which seems to have suffered this fate -- games like
40 > Torchlight 2 and utils like glxgears work just fine; glxinfo reports NVIDIA
41 > extensions), or is there just something I've fundamentally missed or messed
42 > up here?
43
44 If glxinfo reports correct data and glxgears works fine, then this
45 may be a bug and please report it. You may CC both celestia and
46 opengl since right now it is not obvious which is the culprit.
47
48 Best regards,
49 Andrew Savchenko