From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD->mp4 - handbrake vs something else
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:19:04
1 On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:09:24 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > I'm getting a Kindle Fire in a few days. While I didn't get it
4 > specifically to watch movies looking at the specs it does apparently
5 > handle mp4 as a video format and they state online that you can watch
6 > streaming movies & TV shows from Amazon's servers.
7
8 You may not need to bother with transcoding. I looked at this for my Asus
9 Transformer and spent time with mencoder settings etc trying to get the
10 right format for the Android supported video formats. Then I discovered
11 Moboplayer in the android market, that uses software decoding to play
12 just about anything, so I just rip the DVD titles as MPEG2, no
13 transcoding needed at all. If the Fire's CPU can handle software
14 decoding, this is a much simpler, and higher quality, solution.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Q: Why do PCs - even modern ones - have reset buttons on the front?
21 A: Because they come with Microsoft operating systems.