From: "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa and Intel HD audio [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 21:18:55
1 On Sunday 08 October 2006 16:34, Steve Evans wrote:
2 > On Sunday 08 October 2006 20:53, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 08 October 2006 15:44, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
4 > > > Did as you suggested and removed alsa from the kernel and compiled
5 > > > alsa-driver but It didn't work. The only thing that changed was the
6 > > > name of the chip it detected, same as yours. I still only have Master
7 > > > with alsamixer and no sound not even quitely I'm using kernel
8 > > > 2.6.17-r8 and the 1.0.13 versions of alsa
9 > > >
10 > > > Matt
11 > >
12 > > This might be part of the problem:
13 > > When I try to play an mp3 with madplay I get the following error
14 > > audio: /dev/dsp: no such file or directory
15 > > Am I missing something from the kernel?
16 > >
17 > > Matt
18 >
19 > I'm not sure what would cause that, udev should be creating the device. On
20 > my system /dev/dsp is a link to /dev/sound/dsp. Does that exist?
21 >
22 > I assume that your user is in group audio, so that you have access rights
23 > to /dev/dsp?
24 >
25 > Steve
26
27 Fixed the problem. I found the following solution on the gentoo forums. It
28 worked for me. I think the problem was with the lack of alsa-oss :-)
29 Thans for your help
30
31 Matt
32
33 1. Use the alsa-driver ebuild instead of the alsa drivers in the kernel.
34 Unmerge alsa-lib, alsa-utils, alsa-oss and any other alsa stuff you have.
35
36 2. Before you emerge alsa-driver, configure your kernel as per the
37 instructions on the alsa guide using the method for alsa-driver users i.e.
38 JUST sound support and nothing else. Then remove your kernel modules
39 directory /lib/modules/whatever-your-kernel-is, rebuild your kernel and
40 install it (make clean, make && make modules install, copythe bzImage file
41 to /boot or however you choose to e.g. link it for your boot loader).
42
43 3. Clean up /etc/modules.d/alsa. Well, just delete it, to be honest.
44
45 4. Reboot with your new clean kernel. You'll probably want OSS emulation, so
46 before emerge'ing alsa-driver, check your USE flags contain both alsa and oss
47 flags. The alsa-driver ebuild will pick up on this. Emerge alsa-driver.
48
49 You should pretty much be back on track with the alsa guide now, just emerge
50 alsa-utils (should pull in alsa-lib), and alsa-oss as well. Then run alsaconf
51 again. Run alsamixer afterwards. Add alsasound to the boot runlevel (not
52 default). Reboot.
55 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
56 Dr. Matthew R. Lee.
57 CASEB & ECIM