From: n952162@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] local mirrors
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 21:44:49
1 Hi,
2
3 I looked at this page:
4
5 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Local_Mirror
6
7 "Many users run Gentoo on several machines and need to sync the Gentoo repository on all of them. Using public mirrors is simply a waste of bandwidth at both ends. Syncing only one machine against a public mirror and all others against that computer would save resources on the public mirrors and save users' bandwidth."
8
9 Perfect!
10
11 So, I set up the rsync deamon on my "mirror server" host and the /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf file on the client machine, run the recommended test and everything is just as described. I sync my client, and am very happy.
12
13 By coincidence, I happen to look in /var/log/emerge-fetch.log on the client and discover that everything got fetched remotely, from, like gentoo.org and rubygems.org, etc.
14
15 What a disappointment! Is there something I still have to do?