From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] idea about small footprint gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:40:19
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Sascha Lucas [mailto:sascha.lucas@×××××××××××××××××.de]
3 > Sent: 22 September 2005 13:01
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] idea about small footprint gentoo
8 > > no
9 > >
10 > > what about stuff that doesn't run all the time? stuff that cro needs
11 > > etc?
12 >
13 > I realy know what will run on such a system. Think of a router, or a
14 > datacollector. Pleas tell me what is cro?
15
16 I believe he meant cron.
17
18 Besides cron jobs and associated executables, there's files which are
19 accessed intermittently and written/read from even more sparsely.
20 Unless you somehow log the file paths for all such interactions how will
21 you ever know what to delete and what not? I guess you can keep backups
22 and experiment so that you don't find out something's missing the hard
23 way, next time you decide to reboot.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick