From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] x264 encoding & Cache64
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:28:43
1 Hello all,
2
3 I recently upgraded HandBrake on my mythbackend server to 0.9.2. One
4 thing I noticed that I thought was strange was that this new version
5 used something called "Cache64" when encoding x264 video. Trusty Google
6 was... not so helpful in finding out what this is. The only reason I'm
7 asking is because I don't understand why a 32-bit dual CPU Xeon system
8 (P4 variety) uses this extension and my Athlon X2 doesn't.
9
10 I don't see anything resembling this extension in /proc/cpuinfo (on
11 either machine,) and so I'm left wondering what it is. Also, I happen to
12 know that my Athlon X2 has pni, aka SSE3, and yet when I compile
13 HandBrake it doesn't make use of this (while taking advantage of SSE3 on
14 C2D systems.) I was wondering if this was simply because I didn't have
15 pni in my USE flags, or whether this could be caused by something else.
16 HandBrake uses jam to build, so would I have to compile jam with SSE3
17 support for things it builds to use them?
18
19 As always, all help is appreciated, no matter how biased it may be. ;-)
20
21 -Hal
22 --
23 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list