From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Grub heartbreaker
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:00:08
1 Just when I began to think I knew a thing or two about grub I'm
2 finding I am failing to get a working grub.conf going on a new
3 install.
4
5 True, the install is inside a vmware machine on windows vista but that
6 has not presented a problem in previous versions of windows and it
7 does not appear to be host OS related anyway.
8
9 When I attempt to boot, instead of the normal selection one expects
10 from grub I get the grub command line.
11
12 So assuming I've made some mistake in grub.conf I try to boot from
13 grub command line.
14
15 root = (hd0,0) (which is /dev/sda1 in linux terms)
16
17 kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1
18
19 boot
20
21 But it fails with a message saying please append a working root=?? to
22 the boot commands.
23
24 So reloading the install ISO I mount /mnt/gentoo/boot and edit
25 grub.conf to say:
26
27 title=kernel-2.6.25-r1
28 root (hd0,0)
29 kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/sda3
30
31 That fails
32 kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/hda3 (Thinking maybe grub
33 does not understand sda)
34
35 That Fails
36
37 kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0)/sda3
38
39 Fails
40
41 I've even tried:
42 kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0,2)
43
44 And another failure... all with the same message about appending a
45 working `root=???'
46
47 I'm about out of ideas here.
48
49 With the livecd for 2008.1 running, saying:
50
51 mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
52 and
53 mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
54
55 Does mount those devices as expected.
56
57 Inside the grub command line when trying to boot the new install
58 root (hd0,0)
59 does find the root partition and tell me its exf2fs.
60
61 kernel /kern<tab>
62
63 Does complete to `/kernel-2.6.25-r1'
64
65 I'm not getting where the problem is.
70 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list