From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 07:48:44
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Saturday, July 18, 2020 11:13 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > This is not a GUI
5
6 xterm is GUI. you don't need to click on gtk/qt
7 widgets to access details of password entries.
8 gtk/qt is a massive overkill.
9
10 > This makes portability a problem. Exactly why keepass (and clones) are used
11 > more.
12
13 compatibility with keepassxc is extremely
14 overrated. it's easy to port nsapass to
15 windows/apple (may even work out of the box,
16 didn't try).
17
18 > Nice, a full detailed list of every single change to your passwords :)
19
20 no. how do you backup your passwords file?
21 dropbox? flash disk? it's up to you. this is
22 unrelated to the passwords manager.
23
24 it's just that i personally use git. that's all.
25 some use dropbox, and it's the same in this
26 regard: none of them see passwords. they only
27 get encrypted passwords.
28
29 i put encrypted psswords database in a git server.
30 it's my personal choice. you don't have to do it.
31 the git server sees random bytes only.
32
33 and thanks to scrypt, even if i don't do anything,
34 but merely encrypt/decypt with the same key, the
35 encrypted file will still look totally different.
38 > The likes of NSA don't actually care about your (dis)approval.
39
40 no one does. not unique to nsa. people
41 exaggerate nsa as if they are any better.
42
43 tbh, nsa is even better than most of our
44 neighbours. if our phones fall in the hands of
45 our neighbours, next day most people will find
46 themselves in pornhub. but nsa can get it all,
47 and yet they still didn't leak it to pornhub (at
48 least not as much).