From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QEMU/distcc combination question64-
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 04:31:22
1 2016-01-02 14:25 GMT-06:00 <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
2 > On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 12:55:56PM -0600, Jc García wrote
3 >
4 >> Then why the recently introuced multilib method of bulding 32bit
5 >> libraries for packages that need it on 64 bit works? I don't think the
6 >> devs would have bothered to introudce the variable ABI_X86 and a
7 >> mulitib eclass just to compile a 32bit Hello World.
8 >>
9 >> I'm not trying to make a flame here, but don't blame the compiler,
10 >> when in this case is more likely you the user are doing something
11 >> wrong.
12 >> My guess is you are blaming the effects of CPU_FLAGS_X86 on CFLAGS.
13 >
14 > The fact that I use "no-multilib" profiles on my 64-bit machines
15 > probably doesn't help. The example I was using involved a manual build
16 > of Pale Moon from source. I manually specified in the build script...
17 >
18 > ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -march=bonnell -mfpmath=sse -pipe \
19 > -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables \
20 > -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mssse3 -mmovbe -mfxsr"
21 >
22 > ...which are the options I use on my netbook client for outsourcing the
23 > build process. So the host's CPU_FLAGS_X86 setting should not be a
24 > problem.
25 >
26 A bit unrelated to the thread, but not really as a solution, here's my
27 experience:
28 I use Gentoo on a netbook too, but I'm not using distcc, it won't help
29 much anyway, my approach is to make a 32 bit container(using
30 systemd-nspawn for the sake of booting it fot testing, but chroot can
31 get it done) and make sure to have the same world and /etc/portage/ in
32 both, with the only difference that the container has
33 FEATURES="buildpkg", and the netbook has FEATURES="getbinpkg", I use
34 git to keep the changes in sync, and source make.local.conf (ignored
35 by git) on each the container). I serve the binpkg host from my
36 desktop to my LAN with nginx but I'm considering git from the booted
37 container. I also mount $PORTDIR via NFS to have the same tree(
38 bandwidth is expensive for me, and I also don't want to have tons of
39 portage tree's around as I use the same method for another amd64 pc
40 with an older processor, that has only 2 threads)
41
42 PD: The next step is to make the upgrades be handled by ansible but I
43 haven't sat down to make it happen.