From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Disk usage during emerge
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:03:46
1 On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 17:56:18 +0200
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/03/12 16:55, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
5 > > On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:50:40PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 > >> On 08/03/12 04:57, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
7 > >>> It came to my attention that during (after) an emerge run, df
8 > >>> reports considerably less space available on my / than before the
9 > >>> emerge
10 > >>
11 > >> That's because the old files are not being deleted since they are
12 > >> in use. When you logout of KDE and restart the whole stack
13 > >> (/etc/init.d/xdm restart) then everything will be back to normal.
14 > >
15 > > By jove, that's definitely it. I knew about this fact from other
16 > > use cases (like deleting a video file which I'm still watching. HA,
17 > > do that, Windows!), but never thought of it regarding emerging. I
18 > > always assumed for some reason that the files were kept in RAM and
19 > > the physical file itself was no longer relevant. Just closing all
20 > > programs before logging out gave back around 350 M.
21 >
22 > I discovered this nifty little tool recently that tells you if any
23 > deleted files are currently being kept open by running processes:
24 > "app-admin/checkrestart". I usually run it after world updates so I
25 > can tell whether I need a restart or not.
30 Why go to the effor tof emerging another package? Use what you already
31 have:
32
33 lsof | egrep '(deleted)$'
36 Alan McKinnnon