From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to knutclient
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 19:34:04
1 On 10/30/2017 07:47 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday, 30 October 2017 14:09:58 GMT Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >> On 10/30/2017 03:15 AM, Mick wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Now, I better look into finding a way to silence this new UPS fan which
6 >>> seems to be going on 24/7 with or without load on it! o_O
7 >>
8 >> Some new UPS systems are designed to have the fan running all the time.
9 >> I don't think it's a good idea to stop it...
10 >>
11 >> Dan
12 >
13 > Right, I suspect it is meant to be running all the time, at high speed when
14 > running on battery and low speed at all other times. This is a 2nd hand HP
15 > T1000 G3 I bought cheaply, because many of the new entry level UPS appliances
16 > being sold today are not fit for human consumption, judging by user reviews.
19 Yeah, I found that out. One of my UPSs crapped out after a power failure
20 a couple weeks ago, then I realized it's from 2006...
21
22 I did some looking around (I had an APC) and all the APC branded crap
23 you get in the stores are cheaper, inferior options. I found out the
24 BX-prefixed models don't even have proper AVR (they only correct when
25 the voltage drops below a certain point, they don't do anything in an
26 overvoltage situation. The BR-prefixed models are like the old UPS of
27 lore, they offer true AVR for both undervolt and overvolt situations,
28 and the one I have even has an option for an extra battery pack for
29 extended runtime (BR1500G.)
30
31 Basically anything in Best Buy, Staples, or similar stores is guaranteed
32 to have the consumer BX model junk.
33
34 APC gave me a reseller that sold me the BR1500G model and it was about
35 $50 more.
36
37 And as a bonus, it still works with apcupsd. I heard some newer APC
38 models are using some new proprietary communication protocols. Never
39 seen one in practice though, I wonder if that's the consumer junk I was
40 reading about.
41
42 Dan