From: Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Root shell terminates after first keystroke
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 04:34:36
1 Eric Martin wrote:
2 > Tim wrote:
3 >> Tonight, for no apparent reason, a problem has started cropping up when
4 >> I 'sudo su'. The root shell will start up fine, but after the first time
5 >> I hit a key, the shell terminates - apparently normally. A sample try
6 >> looks like this (I begin to type "emerge", with little success):
7 >
8 >> tim@wozniak ~ $ sudo su
9 >> wozniak tim # eexit
10 >> tim@wozniak ~ $
11 >
12 >> This occurs no matter how long I wait before hitting a key. Using 'su'
13 >> without the preceding 'sudo' will let me into a normal root shell
14 >> without the problem occurring. The problem also occurs only in Konsole,
15 >> not at a tty. I should mention, based on this, that I'm running KDE4.
16 >> How might I go about fixing this?
17 > Dumb question, why are you exec'ing /sudo su/? Why not just /su/ or /su
18 > -/ or /sudo/ ?
19 >
20 I figured out how to execute 'sudo su' without a password before I
21 figured out how to do the same with 'su'. I use sudo on a regular basis
22 (e.g. sudo emerge -avu world) without trouble, including after this
23 problem started, and su works too, it just adds the hassle of typing a
24 root password.
25
26 I know, I know, my laziness is winning out over proper security, shame
27 on me.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list