From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive click of death?
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 19:28:12
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-10-03 21:04]:
2 > On Saturday 03 Oct 2015 19:44:03 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-10-03 11:44]:
4 > > > Hi All,
5 > > >
6 > > > Recently I noticed that an old drive is clicking 3 or 4 times when it is
7 > > > powered up. Thereafter is stays quiet. I think it is a mechanical
8 > > > fault, because I placed the box on its side and the drive did not click
9 > > > when booting up.
10 > > >
11 > > > I ran smartctl short/long/conveyance tests and no errors are reported.
12 > > >
13 > > > In your experience is this something to concern myself with? There is
14 > > > not business critical data on the drive at present.
15 > >
16 > > Hi Mick,
17 > >
18 > > I had a drive doing similiar things whith comparable "features".
19 > > In my case it was a defective cable, which gave good contact when
20 > > the drive was put on its side due the slight drill of the cable.
21 > > But it is less likely as what the other said, though...
22 > >
23 > > HTH!
24 > > Best regards,
25 > > Meino
26 >
27 > HA! I reseated the cable on the drive and the MoBo and tried to start the PC
28 > a couple of times. So far no clicking! :-)
29 >
30 > Let's hope it stays this way.
31 >
32 > Thank you Meino for your suggestion.
33 >
34 > --
35 > Regards,
36 > Mick