From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot to console only?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 03:07:00
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > What (if any) is a way to boot a Gentoo VM as far as the console,
4 > not starting X, to allow a root login? Possibly some sort of
5 > interactive boot where I can tell it to continue or not?
6
7 With rc_interactive="YES" in /etc/rc.conf (with baselayout2, I'm not
8 sure how that was enabled with baselayout1) you can press the 'I' key
9 during boot to enable interactive mode. You are asked then for every
10 init script if it should start or not.
11
12 But if you only want to avoid X, the other solutions that were posted
13 are better. And switching to a text console probably is the easiest.
14
15 Wonko