From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo server installation
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 14:10:21
1 Perenaster <perenaster <at> googlemail.com> writes:
4 > Hey,I dont't know if this is the right list I'm writing to but
5 > I want to use Gentoo as server. My aim is a small as possible
6 > installation of an OS with only the modules I want.
7
8 I run several gentoo servers, on a minimal configuration.
9 It is painless and I do most updates at night, unattended
10 on the servers. Oh, I run duplicate machines on my servers
11 with mostly stable software; so if a version rollback is necessary
12 on a given piece of software, it's not too cumbersome (mostly).
13 If you are pushing the latest Java technology, it'll be a bit
14 more challenging, imho. Minimal firewalls using Compact Flash
15 are a favorite of mine using gentoo.
16
17 For a server, I'd suggest RAID although those docs are a bit dated,
18 folks here will help you stagger through the installation if
19 you choose to add RAID to your server(s).
22 Be careful, *Gentoo will seduce you* into building that ultimate
23 workstation, just the way you want it. TIME SINK, particularly if
24 you want tons of the latest software from various sources, but ultimate
25 pleasure as a workstation. Gentoo also runs as an embedded
26 platform and on many different architectures. If you are
27 not vigilant, Gentoo will even enhance your dreams, as
28 you sleep.
31 caveat emptor!
32 hth,
33 James