From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage problem
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:23:28
1 On Saturday 15 March 2008, Chuck Robey wrote:
2
3 > It's certainly an aid, at least the bottom part (like i'd said, I;d
4 > foound several different Gentoo docs giving me descriptions of what
5 > slots are, so I knew that, just that there seem to be no docs
6 > anywhere I can locate IN Gentoo that tell you HOW to use slots.
7 > So, now I know that the parens signal the slot info, but how do I
8 > choose them, select one over anther, adn even to search for them in
9 > emerge?
10
11 *Sigh* You are still confusing things here.
12
13 There are two completely different cases. Let's first look at an
14 enduser package like KDE. Basically, there are two "active" slots at
15 the moment: KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.0. Which one you use you can decide at
16 the login screen under "session". If, on the other hand, you want to
17 get rid of 3.5, you unmerge it (not recommended yet). With unslotted
18 packages, older ones get automatically deleted when you emerge a new
19 one. With slotted packages, it's left to you to decide to get rid of
20 an older one.
21
22 There are other packages not of interest for endusers but necessary
23 for emerging other packages. For example the autotools automake and
24 autoconf. They are slotted as well. You better be *very* careful when
25 unmerging one slot. Emerging one package needs version X of these
26 tools, another version Y, and yet another one version Z. The packages
27 to be emerged decide themselves which version of automake or autoconf
28 they need.
29
30 Uwe
33 Informal Linux Group Namibia: