From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to update portage offline with minimal impact?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:26:06
1 --- Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 13:16 -0800, BRM wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 > > However, that is not a solution I can use as I might not be the
5 > long
6 > > term maintainer, and I'd like an easier solution as it requires a
7 > lot
8 > > of work to download stuff. I'd like a solution similar to the
9 > > following:
10 > > # tar xvjf /portage-sources-<data>.tar.bz2 -C /my-portage-sources
11 > > # tar xvjf /portage-<date>.tar.bz2 -C /my-portage
12 > > # emerge --sync --portage-source /my-portage
13 > > # emerge world -vuD --sources /my-portage-sources
14 > This has come up before, so I know some people here have a bit of
15 > experience with doing it. Essentially it's possible. I think the
16 > steps
17 > required are:
18 >
19 > - download a portage snapshot as you would in an initial install, or
20 > create your own from another gentoo machine (more info here:
21 >
22 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=5#installing_portage)
23 > - you may need to run `emerge --metadata` after unpacking it, or
24 > something like that - someone else can comment here :)
25 > - then follow your manual download instructions: `emerge -ufpDN
26 > world`
27 > and download all these packages on another box
28 > - transfer the packages to /usr/portage/distfiles, and check you got
29 > them all with `emerge -ufDN world`. You should have no fetch errors.
30 > - then go! `emerge -uvaDN world`
31 >
32 > Notes:
33 > - when creating your own snapshot,
34 > exclude /usr/portage/distfiles, /usr/portage/packages, (and others?)
35 > - I would recommend -N as you might see some new features since you
36 > haven't updated in a while
37 >
38 > Hopefully someone will fix any holes I left, otherwise this should
39 > work!
40
41 Thanks. I'll have to see about giving it a try; not sure how well it'll
42 work on the one system; and I'll have to run it past my other admins
43 for the other system. Any how...
44
45 Thanks.
46