From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No cdrom device created
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 02:10:58
1 Hi, Harry.
2
3 On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > I think I found the reason for a long standing problem I've had with
5 > the machine locking up.
6 >
7 > I see no evidence of a cdrom link or device name in /dev.
8 >
9 > dmesg seems to show that it is recognized on boot, but I'm not smart
10 > enough to know what the lines from dmesg really mean:
11
12 HW problem would probably be most likely, I guess. Maybe a loose cable
13 if you're lucky. :)
14
15 You can also check the file:
16 /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
17
18 To ensure it's got your device name right, or delete it and it'll
19 auto-create it at next boot based on detected hardware.
20
21 You can also use "hdparm -z /dev/hdc" to have the kernel re-read the
22 drive (without need for reboot), which should create the udev nodes if
23 it succeeds. I have a USB drive that always fails on first plug-in,
24 but if I use hdparm like that it'll work the second try every time...
25
26 Good luck!