From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] "User services" best practice?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:24:28
1 While system-level services are typically managed by /etc/init.d/* in
2 Gentoo, these are maintained by root for all users. I'm interested in
3 an end-user without root access who wants to 'run a service-like
4 process' (for example, fectmail to poll remote accounts...) While an
5 end user can easily run a daemon process or kill one, this doesn't
6 persist across a reboot. I've tried using fcron to schedule user
7 processes to re-start after a re-boot... but this feels like a hack.
8
9 Is there a standard Gentoo way to solve this (I presume common) task?
13 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list