From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More emerge oddity in chroot
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:16:51
1 On Thursday 24 Apr 2014 17:05:25 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 140424 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I'm wearying of this chroot operation, and I must be sounding like a tyro.
4 > > The other day emerge started hanging at the end of compilation, thus:
5 > > # emerge -1 apache-tools
6 >
7 > -- details snipped --
8 >
9 > >>>> Completed installing apache-tools-2.2.25 into /var/tmp/portage/app-
10 >
11 > -- details snipped --
12 >
13 > >>>> Done.
14 > >
15 > > It never comes back from there, not even with a CTRL-C;
16 > > I have to "kill -9" from another Konsole.
17 > > Grepping ps for emerge (before the kill!) shows:
18 > > 20749 pts/1 DN+ 0:03 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/emerge --nospinner -1
19 > > apache-tools
20 > > Man ps says that the D means "uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)"
21 > > Is my hardware dying ?
22 >
23 > It looks like hardware : how old is it ? what is its record ?
24
25 It's only 3 or 4 years old. Never given any trouble with Gentoo, though I
26 never managed to install any other distro - whichever one it was it would
27 always just stop responding to anything.
28
29 Looks like time to revisit the BIOS settings. I prefer to stick with
30 unadventurous defaults rather than playing around with core voltages,
31 nanosecond timings etc. I've already checked all the hardware (and software) I
32 can think of that would cause errors at only a single point, so it's firmware
33 next.
36 Regards
37 Peter