From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:00:09
1 * Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > But I'd really like to know what produces the performance hits
4 > > on Posfix @ Linux.
5 >
6 > It comes down to the IO scheduler. Linux is designed to be general purpose.
7 > FreeBSD is designed to be much more specific.
8
9 hmm, Linux provides several io schedulers - does choosing another
10 one help here ?
11
12 > > Well, portage could be much thinner if certain things would be
13 > > moved explicitly out-of-scope or solved more generic on a
14 > > different layer. (yes, I'm explicitly ignoring the historical
15 > > issues right now ;-p).
16 >
17 > My beef with portage in my specific production setup is the amount of work it
18 > takes my guys to keep everything up to date.
19
20 Yes, that's still a problem. I myself for example have a dozen of
21 containers w/ Gentoo, and I'm still trying to figure out how to
22 control which packages should be updated fully automatically, w/o
23 triggering updates of others that I want to approve explicitly.
24
25 Once I've ported a buch of more packages to sysroot'ed builds,
26 I'll migrate to Briegel[1]-built images.
29 cu
30
31 [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/briegel/
32 --
34 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
35
36 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
37 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
39 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme