From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lack of openoffice and firefox binary for ppc
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:21:09
1 On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:27:01 +0200, Stefán István wrote:
2
3 > What is the reason of the lack of binary packages of openoffice and
4 > firefox for ppc based machines?
5
6 Because the projects don't supply binary PPC packages.
7
8 Gentoo works with upstream packages and, with the exception of the GRP
9 and Stage 3 packages for initial installation, does not provide binaries
10 unless they come fro upstream.
11
12 I've been compiling OOo for PPC since 1.1.4, and like you, cannot install
13 2.0.4 yet. There are some threads on Bugzilla about the various problems
14 compiling OOo.
15
16 I'd use KOffice but I need to be able to save in Word and Excel formats.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 The considered application of terror is also a form of communication.