From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] initial compile time
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 16:47:31
1 On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 28/08/2017 13:41, mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> Ok, i'm starting to understand the install instructions, a steeper curve
4 >> than i expected but still way easier than LFS.
5 >> So, on a dual core athlon II 6000 (two cores, 3ghz) roughly how long
6 >> will stage3 take to compile, roughly?
7 >
8 > How many extra USE flags did you set? What software did you decide to
9 > add? How old is the stage 3 you used? A recent one will obviously need
10 > fewer recompiles than a 6-month old one. But to portage it's all the
11 > same - make a list of stuff to be done and do it from the beginning.
14 I imagine that some people like to rebuild everything after changing
15 their CFLAGS, but there is certainly no requirement to do so.
16
17 Also, I tend to favor getting the system booting on its own before
18 fiddling with it. There isn't much you need to build before you have
19 the system booting, and at that point you're at least running while
20 you're doing the rest. If I'm going to switch the init implementation
21 then I'll do that before the first boot since that impacts the grub
22 configuration. Systemd does take a bit to build, but it is still a
23 far cry from doing a ton of rebuilds.
24
25 However, if you do have a /etc/portage configuration you like, and a
26 /var/lib/portage/world, then you can just update these and the profile
27 and just do an emerge -NDu world and watch it all come into place. I
28 have a typical set of configuration files I deploy on any new system
29 so I will often build this stuff directly before rebooting (which
30 includes stuff like systemd, vim, screen, grub, dracut, and so on).
33 Rich