From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Iron penguin on usb?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 08:18:19
1 On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:15:38 PM James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Ok the latest release of livedvd is here:
5 >
6 > https://www.gentoo.org/news/20140826-livedvd.xml
7 >
8 > So my understanding is you can put this on a usb stick. Run
9 > gentoo live, download packages, set flags, install packages
10 > and save them to the USB stick? So it's a portable gentoo
11 > workstation on a usb stick?
12 >
13 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/HOWTO
16 > Are these the best instructions to follow to createa usb bootable
17 > live gentoo image? It has to be able to install new packages and
18 > save those to the usb stick.
19 >
20 > I remember some time back (Neil) mentioned a package I was
21 > not aware of (and naturally cannot remmber the name of) that
22 > made creating USB bootable, usable, images on a usb stick
23 > straightforward?
24 >
25 > It even handled grub2, uefi and such?
26 >
27 > suggestions?
30 > James
36 You can install Gentoo to a USB drive following the installation guide on the
37 wiki. I've done it Arch cause it's quicker but it will work with Gentoo as
38 well. Just make sure to compile the kernel with everything as modules and
39 install all the xorg drivers if you want a desktop.
40
41 You can also make a multiboot USB (for most live CDs) like that, Just use
42 syslinux as your bootloader, to install a new live CD (in a nutshell):
43
44 1. Create a FAT partition big enough to store the Live CD. If the CD has a
45 volume label that's less that 8 chars set the label of the new partition to
46 the same (some live CDs use it to find the live medium).
47 2. Mount the ISO image as a loop device and copy all the files to your new
48 partition.
49 3. Install Syslinux on top of Isolinux (usually /isolinux).
50 4. Create a syslinux.cfg as follows: "echo 'include isolinux.cfg' >
51 /mnt/isolinux/syslinux.cfg (assuming your new partition is mounted on /mnt).
52 5. Add an entry to your Gentoo's syslinux.cfg to chainload to the new
53 partition.
54
55 I recently tried this and it worked with Arch, Knoppix, Kali, and Ubuntu CDs
56 (for Ubuntu distros create the partition and then use Ubunutu's startup disk
57 creator to install it to the new partition, then do step #5).
58
59 I create a FAT32 parition for my files and set the type of all other paritions,
60 including the ext2 partion to "Hidden FAT32" (more modern software doesnt care
61 about the type) so when you plug it in on a desktop (even windows) only that
62 partition is visible. Just make sure not to mount your it on your /home
63 directory cause it'll give you problems.
66 Fernando Rodriguez
67 PGP Key: http://keys.gnupg.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF6CE157FF9525C1C