From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: eix-test-obolete
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 21:19:12
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
4 > emerge shouts loudly about removing those.
7 I think your are probably right...
8
9 >> For example, one of the listed pkgs is:
10 >>
11 >> gnome-base/libgnomeui
12 >>
13 >> which equery says `firefox' and `etherape' depend on.
14 >
15 > equery depends is unreliable as it doesn't take proper account of USE
16 > dependencies. What's the worst that can happen if you unmerge libgnomeui?
17 > Probably that you can't start a GNOME desktop until it is re-emerged. As
18 > long as you don't unmerge anything fro system and you run a deep world
19 > update after a depclean, preferably followed by a revdep-rebuild, you
20 > should be OK.
21
22 I don't even use gnome desktop at all ... I'm a kde fan. So I guess I
23 should get it done...
24
25 Its good to have confirmed that `equery depends' is not that
26 reliable... I'd developed that apprehension a while ago.
27
28 I somehow doubt that firefox will cease to work if I unmerge
29 libgnomeui.
30
31 So here goes nothing...
34 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list