From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:11:02
1 >> Is there a quick way to install a bootloader manually, so I can see if
2 >> that works?  I tried to adapt this but couldn't come up with a
3 >> procedure I though would be correct:
4 >
5 > Don't know about the distro you were trying to install, but when I
6 > need a bootable USB disk with utils, I usually go with System Rescue
7 > CD
8 >
9 > http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick
10
11 Great success! Thank you for that link. Here's what I needed to do:
12
13 'cfdisk /dev/sdb' and select type LBA FAT32
14 'mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n DSLinux /dev/sdb1'
15 'dd if=/usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb'
16 'sync'
17
18 Maybe that dd would have been sufficient, I'm not sure. I was using
19 ext3 before.
20
21 New problem: Booted into DSLinux, my HD does not appear so I can't
22 wipe it. blkid and fdisk -l only show the USB stick assigned to
23 /dev/sda which is how I accidentally wiped it in the first place.
24 I'll try another distro on the USB stick.
25
26 - Grant