From: Miernik <public@××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:12:25
1 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
2 >> miernik@przehyba ~ $ locale
3 >> LANG=en_DK.UTF-8
4 >> miernik@przehyba ~ $ locale -a
5 >> en_DK.utf8
6 >
7 > And you don't see the difference?
8
9 But...
10
11 przehyba ~ # cat /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED | grep en | grep DK
12 en_DK.UTF-8 UTF-8
13 en_DK ISO-8859-1
14 przehyba ~ #
15
16 So why 'locale -a' tells me that the available locale has "utf8" at the
17 end, while the file in /usr/share/i18n/ tells me its capital leters
18 "UTF-8"? And all documentation I can remember tells me to use ".UTF-8",
19 I've never in my life seen ".utf8" before, I use locales with ".UTF-8"
20 ending on Debian since ages, why here is this strange lowercase "utf8"
21 in one place, and how did it happen to get there?
22
23 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6
24 tells to use capital "UTF-8"
25
26 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml
27 shows that 'locale -a' should output capital "UTF-8"
28
29 However I still don't know how to solve the problem, I changed the text
30 in /etc/env.d/02locale to "en_DK.utf8", then run
31 env-update && source /etc/profile
32 and rebooted the machine after that just to be sure, but that didn't fix
33 the problem - UTF-8 files don't work when 'cat', and starting an xterm
34 still shows "Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C".
35 Only now "locale" command shows the lowercase version.
36
37 I did read the above URL's, and
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml
39 and I am out of ideas. What a mess... and I didn't ever before anywhere
40 enter ".utf8" ending in the locale while installing this system, nor in
41 my life, so it's not me who messed it up! I did how all the manuals
42 showed - uppercase .UTF-8
43
44 Is there any hope for me, or should I reinstall Gentoo from scratch,
45 to a blank disk, and pray that my locales will work after that? However
46 I'm sceptical that will produce any different result than I have,
47 because I'll probably do everything exactly as I did now.
50 Miernik
51 http://miernik.name/