From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Google pop3 authentication failure
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 01:30:03
1 On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 10:26:55PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote
2 >
3 > AFAIK, you've got two choices.
4 >
5 > 1. Use an "app password"
6 >
7 > https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833
8 > https://www.lifewire.com/get-a-password-to-access-gmail-by-pop-imap-2-1171882
9 >
10 > 2. Use OAUTH 2.0
11 >
12 > https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/xoauth2-protocol
13 > https://oauth.net/2/
14
15 I looked at those instructions and also at setting up mutt, which I
16 currently use. Clear as mud. After scratching my head for several
17 minutes, I really wanted to scrap my Gmail account altogether, but it
18 might screw up some other stuff I do with Google. I very rarely use
19 Gmail, and I do know how to access Gmail via web browser. So I
20 commented the Gmail stanza out of my .fetchmailrc and I'll use web
21 browser to access Gmail.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications