From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: get process name in c++
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:55:10
1 On 7/6/06, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > yes I would, except that I'm editing a class which is inherited by a
3 > multitude of programs, so the /proc way I only have to change one file,
4 > whereas the argv[0] way I have to change every source file...
5
6 No, that's the point of a global. Inheritance and all doesn't matter.
7
8 You change main.c (2 lines):
9 char* progname = 0;
10 ...
11 progname = argv[0];
12
13 main.h (1 line):
14 extern char* progname;
15
16 and the source file where you want to use it it (2 lines):
17 #include "main.h"
18 ...
19 printf("progname is %s\n", progname);
20
21 Your details might vary, for example if there is already a globals.h
22 you could move the declaration from main.h to there, etc. But this
23 really is the sane way of doing this...
24
25 -Richard
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list