From: Mat Harris <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] getting GMT to use DST
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 06:10:40
1 Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 04:55 +0100, Mat Harris wrote:
3 >> Hi All,
4 >>
5 >> I have had a machine running for a little while without many problems,
6 >> until I tried to use ntp to keep my clock in sync.
7 >>
8 >> I have got my /etc/localtime and my /etc/conf.d/clock to reflect my GMT
9 >> location, yet all timeservers I try to sync to put me an hour behind. I
10 >> am in the UK and currently our clocks are forwards, or is it backwards?
11 >>
12 >> Either way I cannot have my machine out 1 hour for half the year. What
13 >> should my solution be?
14 >
15 > probably because while you are in a "GMT location", strictly speaking
16 > you are not on GMT time. GMT time does not include daylight savings,
17 > AFAIK, otherwise everyone who referenced GMT would have to alter their
18 > time according to whether both GMT and their timezone was on daylight
19 > savings at that particular time - a big mess, especially for the
20 > Southern Hemisphere, or places like where I live, that don't use DST.
21 >
22 > You need to set /etc/conf.d/clock to GMT (if your bios keeps time in GMT
23 > - up to you) and set /etc/localtime to London, or whatever. I think...
24 > I get confused sometimes :)
25 >
26 > HTH,
27
28 Hi,
29
30 Excellent keeping GMT in /etc/conf.d/clock and setting /etc/localtime to
31 Europe/London did the trick.
32
33 Thanks for the help :)
34