From: Foster McLane <fkmclane@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth and hciconfig
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 15:19:51
1 On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 07:59:02AM -0700, Mick wrote:
2 > Mar 28 15:50:20 dell_xps bluetoothd[10619]: Unknown key AutoEnable in
3 > main.conf
4
5 Did you use the 'AutoEnable' option in the '[Policy]' section of
6 main.conf?
7
8 > So, what's the solution if hciconfig et al are not installed with future
9 > versions of bluez and the AutoEnable option does not seem to take?
10
11 I'm pretty sure the future solution is to use bluetoothctl as a console
12 user interface or find a more scriptable alternative (I don't know of
13 any) that also use the DBus interface.
14
15 I just hit this problem with the upgrade as I was using scripts to manage
16 turning bluetooth on and off and I was able to get by with just the
17 AutoEnable option. I did not find much else in my cursory research as to
18 a replacement for hciconfig. The following is from the release notes for
19 BlueZ 5.35:
20
21 > A noteworthy new feature is the ability to configure bluetoothd to
22 > automatically enable (power on) all new adapters. One use of this is to
23 > replace unreliable "hciconfig hci0 up" commands that some distributions
24 > use in their init/udev scripts. The feature can be enabled by having
25 > AutoEnable=true under the [Policy] section of /etc/bluetooth/main.conf.
26
27 Foster