From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FLAC to mp3 converters?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 20:09:13
1 Mark Knecht writes:
2
3 > I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to convert a large hierarcy
4 > of directories populated with FLAC files to a new set of directories
5 > using mp3 instead? The FLAC directory contains something like 20000
6 > files so I need the converted structure to replicate the original.
7 > Most likely the tool has to be very tolerant of file naming, unicode,
8 > etc., as there are likely to be any number of strange things in there.
9 >
10 > Possibly something in perl or, for the likes of me, even something GUI
11 > based.
12
13 This might work:
14
15 - emerge -u media-sound/transkode && transkode
16 - Configure transkode:
17 - edit the profile (like mp3-standard) you want to use to your needs
18 - set the naming scheme to %{src_dir}/%{src_name}.%{dst_ext}
19 - Drag the root folder of your MP3s into the application window (works
20 with KDE, not sure about other desktops).
21 - Mark all files with Ctrl-A.
22 - Click right and set the profile to the one you want.
23 - Click the play button.
24 - Wait until all is done. You may stop and resume the process, but
25 when you quit transkode, I think it does not remember which files
26 were already converted.
27 - Beware of the strange naming things, I do not know how well transkode
28 will handle this.
29 - You will also get a nice amarok plugin if the amarok use flag is set.
30
31 Wonko