From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADSUP] libreoffice versus bison-2.5
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 12:09:14
1 On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 07:00:02AM +0200, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't know how good "exmap" is, but my personal experience is quite
4 > different. Between Fall 1999 and Summer 2007 I had a Dell Dimension
5 > with a 450 mhz PIII and 128 megs of *SYSTEM RAM* (no not the video card).
6 > It was actually quite usable to the very end, with Blackbox WM, and
7 > running a few apps. Meanwhile, KDE (and GNOME for that matter) would
8 > take forever to load and make the system crawl after that, even with 1
9 > or 2 apps loaded.
12 It's always like that with hardware though. My first computer
13 was a 1987 Mac SE, eight (8) MHz CPU, maxed out to 4 MB RAM.
14 Two 800MB floppies plus an external 250MB HDD (huge for the time).
15 Ran Mac System 6.0.8, I used it for multitrack audio recording and
16 "desktop publishing" (sounds quaint now, huh?) into the '90s.
17 Of course, it had absolutely no security and only a poor illusion of
18 multitasking... :)
19
20 For the time it was great, but what we have now is much more
21 flexible, capable, and secure. The business of ever-increasng
22 consumption of computing resources is probably unavoidable, barring
23 some major advance in coding.
26 caveat utilitor