From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] purchasing a dell laptop
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:30:12
1 On Thu, Jun 25 2015, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Thursday 25 Jun 2015 16:06:31 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:36:36 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
5 >> > > The XPS 13 at least is available as a "Developer Edition" that comes
6 >> > > with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS instead of Windows.
7 >> >
8 >> > I "dual boot" windows and gentoo. The quotes are there since my current
9 >> > machine (3 years old) has never been in windows post-installation. The
10 >> > advantage of having windows available occurs if you need dell
11 >> > maintenance.
12 >>
13 >> Which is a rather poor reason for keeping Windows around. The Ubuntu
14 >> version is not significantly cheaper, but it would make dealing with
15 >> support that much easier if the machine was supposed to have Linux on it
16 >> in the first place.
17 >
18 > When I bought my 16" XPS Ubuntu was definitely not available and when I asked
19 > (repeatedly) I was told that if I wanted a Linux OS I would have to buy a
20 > cheaper laptop that came with Ubuntu. They were also adamant in their very
21 > polite Indian accent that the only OS that came with the laptop I wanted was
22 > MSWindows 7 and they would not sell it without an OS.
23 >
24 > Of course if you are a big corporate customer they will be more accomodating,
25 > but in my case they were reading off a script with any option available for
26 > me, as long as it was exactly what was shown on the Dell website. :-p
27
28 Interesting. When I just now logged into dell.com I could find the
29 latitude 7450 with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD. But ubunto was *not* there
30 and neither was a 1920x1080 non-touch screen. Indeed many fewer options
31 that when I logged in premier.dell.com and went to the same laptop.
32
33 allan