From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] apache upgrade - default configuration not explained correctly for hosting
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 02:39:49
1 Enabling hosting from "/var/www/localhost/htdocs" is not explained
2 correctly in configuration files (correct me anybody if I missed
3 something) . This is the second time I got caught this this problem.
4
5 Default configuration for apache is as follow:
6
7 In file: modules.d/00_default_settings.conf
8 ...
9 # We configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of features.
10 <Directory />
11 Options FollowSymLinks
12 AllowOverride None
13 Order deny,allow
14 Deny from all
15 </Directory>
16
17 In file: vhosts.d/default_vhost.include
18 ...
19 <Directory "/var/www/localhost/htdocs">
20 ...
21 AllowOverride All
22
23 # Controls who can get stuff from this server.
24 Order allow,deny
25 Allow from all
26 </Directory>
27
28 This is grace and beauty but not practical for hosting. The statement
29 above in "00_default_settings.conf"
30 AllowOverride None
31 Order deny,allow
32 Deny from all
33
34 will not let anybody host any files on their system, nor there is any
35 explanation on what to do to enable hosting from
36 "/var/www/localhost/htdocs"
37 The solutions are to change in <Directory />
38 - changing "AllowOverride None" to "AllowOverride All"
39 or
40 - removing: Order deny,allow Deny from all
41
42 or adding below <Directory /> ....</Directory> another statement:
43 <Directory "/var/www/localhost/htdocs">
44 AllowOverride All
45 </Directory>
46
47 and that is what I have done. The statement "AllowOverride All" in
48 file: vhosts.d/default_vhost.include does not overwrite <Directory />
49 statement from file: modules.d/00_default_settings.conf and that is
50 puzzling me WHY?
51
52 This is the second time I got myself caught with this problem after
53 upgrading apache.
56 #Joseph
57 --
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list