From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 06:48:52
1 On 01/10/2013 08:07, Grant wrote:
2 >>>>> Keeping all of the laptops 100% identical as far as hardware is
3 >>>>> central to this plan. I know I'm setting myself up for big problems
4 >>>>> otherwise.
5 >>>>>
6 >>>>> I'm hoping I can emerge every package on my laptop that every other
7 >>>>> laptop needs. That way I can fix any build problems and update any
8 >>>>> config files right on my own system. Then I would push config file
9 >>>>> differences to all of the other laptops. Then each laptop could
10 >>>>> emerge its own stuff unattended.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I see what you desire now - essentially you want to clone your laptop
13 >>>> (or big chunks of it) over to your other workstations.
14 >>>
15 >>> That sounds about right.
16 >>>
17 >>>> To get a feel for how it works, visit puppet's web site and download
18 >>>> some of the test appliances they have there and run them in vm software.
19 >>>> Set up a server and a few clients, and start experimenting in that
20 >>>> sandbox. You'll quickly get a feel for how it all hangs together (it's
21 >>>> hard to describe in text how puppet gets the job done, so much easier to
22 >>>> do it for real and watch the results)
23 >>>
24 >>> Puppet seems like overkill for what I need. I think all I really need
25 >>> is something to manage config file differences and user accounts. At
26 >>> this point I'm thinking I shouldn't push packages themselves, but
27 >>> portage config files and then let each laptop emerge unattended based
28 >>> on those portage configs. I'm going to bring this to the 'salt'
29 >>> mailing list to see if it might be a good fit. It seems like a much
30 >>> lighter weight application.
31 >>
32 >> Two general points I can add:
33 >>
34 >> 1. Sharing config files turns out to be really hard. By far the easiest
35 >> way is to just share /etc but that is an all or nothing approach, and
36 >> you just need one file to be different to break it. Like /etc/hostname
37 >>
38 >> You *could* create a "share" directory inside /etc and symlink common
39 >> files in there, but that gets very tedious quickly.
40 >>
41 >> Rather go for a centralized repo solution that pushes configs out, you
42 >> must just find the one that's right for you.
43 >
44 > Does using puppet or salt to push configs from my laptop qualify as a
45 > centralized repo solution?
48 yes
53 >> 2. Binary packages are almost perfect for your needs IMHO, running
54 >> emerge gets very tedious quickly, and your spec is that all workstations
55 >> have the same USE. You'd be amazed how much time you save by doing this:
56 >>
57 >> emerge -b on your laptop and share your /var/packages
58 >> emerge -K on the workstations when your laptop is on the network
59 >>
60 >> step 2 goes amazingly quickly - eyeball the list to be emerged, they
61 >> should all be purple, press enter. About a minute or two per
62 >> workstation, as opposed to however many hours the build took.
63 >
64 > The thing is my laptop goes with me all over the place and is very
65 > rarely on the same network as the bulk of the laptop clients. Most of
66 > the time I'm on a tethered and metered cell phone connection
67 > somewhere. Build time itself really isn't a big deal. I can have the
68 > clients update overnight. Whether the clients emerge or emerge -K is
69 > the same amount of admnistrative work I would think.
72 I see. So you give up the efficiency of binpkgs to get a system that at
73 least works reliably.
74
75 Within those constraints that probably is the best option.
78 >> 3. (OK, three points). Share your portage tree over the network. No
79 >> point in syncing multiple times when you actually just need to do it once.
80 >
81 > Yep, I figure each physical location should designate one system to
82 > host the portage tree and distfiles.
86 Alan McKinnon
87 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com