From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Flexibility and robustness in the Linux organisim
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 15:50:21
1 Am 11.10.2013 10:28, schrieb Steven J. Long:
2 > On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 06:35:58PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >>>> wrong analogy and it goes down from here. Really.
4 >>> Ohh, but they are inspired on YOUR analogy, so guess how wrong yours was.
5 >> your trolling is weak. And since I never saw anything worth reading
6 >> posted by you, you are very close to plonk territory right now.
7 > If his analogies are weak, that's deliberate: to show that your analogy is just
8 > as weak. Irrespective of why /usr was first added, or that it was in fact what
9 > /home now is, it's proven useful in many contexts. That you don't accept that,
10 > won't convince anyone who's lived that truth. All you'll do is argue in circles
11 > about irrelevance.
12 >
13 >>> The setup of a separate /usr on a networked system was used in amongst
14 >>> other places a few swedish universities.
15 >> seperate /usr on network has been used in a lot of places. So what? Does
16 >> that prove anything?
17 >> Nope, it doesn't.
18 > Er quite obviously it proves that a separate /usr can be useful. In fact so
19 > much so that all the benefits of the above setup are claimed by that god-awful
20 > "why split usr is broken because we are dumbasses who got kicked out of the
21 > kernel and think that userspace doesn't need stability" post, as if they never
22 > existed before, and could not exist without a rootfs/usr merge.
23 >
24 >> Seriously, /var is a good candidate for a seperate partition. /usr is not.
25 > They both are. Not very convincing is it?
26 > Seriously, if you don't see the need for one, good for you. Just stop telling
27 > us what to think, will you?
28 >
29 >>>>>> too bad POSIX is much older than LSB or FHS.
30 >>>>> Too bad separate /usr is much older than initramfs.
31 >>>> too bad that initramfs and initrd are pretty good solutions to the
32 >>>> problem of hidden breakage caused by seperate /usr.
33 >>>> If you are smart enough to setup an nfs server, I suppose you are smart
34 >>>> enough to run dracut/genkernel&co.
35 >>> If you are smart enough to run "dracut/genkernel&co" I suppose you are
36 >>> smart enough to see the wrongness of your initial statement "too bad
37 >>> POSIX is much older than LSB or FHS."
38 >> too bad I am right and you are and idiot.
39 >>
40 >> Originally, the name "POSIX" referred to IEEE Std 1003.1-1988, released
41 >> in 1988. The family of POSIX standards is formally designated as IEEE
42 >> 1003 and the international standard name is ISO/IEC 9945.
43 >> The standards, formerly known as IEEE-IX, emerged from a project that
44 >> began circa 1985. Richard Stallman suggested the name POSIX to the IEEE.
45 >> The committee found it more easily pronounceable and memorable, so it
46 >> adopted it
47 >>
48 >> That is from wikipedia.
49 >>
50 >> 1985/1988. When were LSB/FHS created again?
51 >>
52 >> FHS in 1994. Hm....
53 > You really are obtuse. You should try to consider what *point* the other person
54 > is trying to make before you mouth off with "superior knowledge" that completely
55 > misses it.
56 >
57 >> *plonk*
58 > ditto. AFAIC you're the one who pulled insults out, when in fact you were
59 > *completely* missing the point.
60 >
61 > Bravo.
62 >
63 you know, I just reread this subthread and the other crap you just
64 posted today.
65
66 Complaining, insulting, being 'obtuse' - that describes you very well.
67 Or not reading at all.
68
69 Very well, I can live without your emails. Really, I can.