From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:33:50
1 On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:50:00 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
2
3 > > I think some of this confusion is caused by the way people switch
4 > > between
5 > > two uses of the word stable. It can mean "doesn't crash", but then
6 > > most
7 > > upstream latest packages fit there, and some long standing releases
8 > > don't. It can also mean "not changing" and this is what some people
9 > > want
10 > > from a distribution.
11 >
12 > I think there is a third meaning with gentoo, namely when the ebuild is
13 > working well enough
14
15 This is not another meaning but a different context. People keep assuming
16 that the arch and ~arch alternatives refer to the package, when they only
17 refer to the ebuild.
18
19 > - this is independent of whether the upstream
20 > package is stable.(although it no doubt helps if it is). So you can have
21 > kde make a release (stable in their view) but gentoo takes some
22 > considerable time to make ebuilds that work acceptably, before they are
23 > marked stable (eg x86 cf ~x86)
24
25 It's not the time it takes to make them work acceptably, most of the KDE
26 3.4 ebuilds worked fine in the initial release. It is the time it takes
27 to prove that they are suitable for marking stable. The stable ebuild is
28 usually the same one that the ~arch users installed a month ago with no
29 problems.
30
31 Choosing between arch and ~arch is choosing whether you want someone else
32 to test things for you or whether you are prepared to do some of the work
33 yourself.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben. Ist easy
40 droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone mit der spammen
41 und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das
42 mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets
43 muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.