From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet security.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 09:36:24
1 There's a lot FUD out there and equally there is some truth. the NSA
2 "we can decrypt everything" statement was really very vague, and can
3 easily be done if you have a lot of taps (ala PRISM) and start doing
4 mitm attacks to reduce the level of security to something that is
5 crackable.
6 for 'compatibility' very many low powered encryption schemes are
7 supported and it is these that are the issue.
8 if you are using ipsec tunnels with aes encryption you can happily
9 ignore these.
10 if you are using mpls networks you can almost guarantee your isp and
11 therefore your network is compromised.
12 the question really is what do you define as security ?
13 if someone was to hit you on the head with a hammer, how long til you
14 willingly gave out your passwords ? [1]
15 I agree with the lack of faith in certificate CA's and i feel that the
16 reason that warnings over ssl are so severe is to spoon feed folks into
17 the owned networks. I far more trust the way mozilla do their web of
18 trust [2] but equally am aware that trolls live in the crowds.
19 while ssh authorized_keys are more secure than passwords, i can't (and
20 am hoping someone can point me to) find how to track failed logins as
21 folks bruteforce their way in. yes it's orders of magnitude more
22 difficult but then internet speed is now orders of magnitude faster, and
23 OTP are looking more sensible every day [3] to me.
24 i used to use windows live messenger and right near the end found that
25 if you send someone a web link to a file filled with /dev/random called
26 passwords.zip you would have some unknown ip connect and download it too.
27 who then is doing that and i trust skype and it's peer2peer nonsense
28 even less.
29 who even knows you can TLS encrypt SIP ?
30 there are many ways of encrypting email but this is not supported from
31 one site to another, even TLS support is often lacking, and GPG the
32 contents means that some folks you send email to cannot read it -- there
33 is always a trade off between usability and security.
34 i read in slashdot that there is a question mark over SELinux because it
35 came from the NSA [4] but this is nonsense, as it is a means of securing
36 processes not network connections. i find it difficult to believe that
37 a backdoor in a locked cupboard in your house can somehow give access
38 through the front door.
39 how far does trust need to be lost [5] before you start fabricating your
40 own chips ? the complexity involved in chip fabs is immense and if
41 bugs can slip through, what else can [6]
42 ultimately a multi layer security approach is required, and security
43 itself needs to be defined.
44 i like privacy so i have net curtains, i don't have a 3 foot thick
45 titanium door with strengthened hinges.
46 if someone looks in my windows, i can see them. either through the
47 window or on cctv.
48 security itself has to be defined so that risk can be managed.
49 so many people buy the biggest lock they can find and forget the hinges.
50 or leave the windows open.
51 even then it doesn't help in terms of power failure or leaking water or
52 gas mains exploding next door (i.e. the definition of security in the
53 sense of safety)
54 to some security means RAID, to others security means offsite backup
55 i like techniques such as port knocking [7] for reducing the size of the
56 scan target
57 if you have a cheap virtual server on each continent and put asterisk on
58 each one; linked by aes ipsec tunnels with a local sip provider in each
59 one then you could probably hide your phone calls quite easily from
60 snoops. until they saw your bank statement and wondered what all these
61 VPS providers and SIP accounts were for, and then the authorities if
62 they were tracking you would go after those. why would you do such a
63 thing? perhaps because you cannot trust the monopoly provider of a
64 country to screen its equipment [8]
65 even things like cookie tracking for advertising purposes - on the
66 lighter side what if your kids see the ads for the stuff you are buying
67 them for christmas ? surprise ruined? where does it stop - its one
68 thing for google to announce governments want your search history, and
69 another for advertising companies to sell your profile and tracking,
70 essentially ad companies are doing the governments snooping job for them.
71 ultimately it's down to risk mitigation. do you care if someone is
72 snooping on your grocery list? no? using cookie tracking ? yeah
73 profiling is bad - wouldn't want to end up on a terrorist watchlist
74 because of my amusement with the zombie apocalypse listmania [9]
75 encryption is important because you don't know what other folks in the
76 internet cafe are doing [10]
77 but where do you draw the line ?
78 if you go into a shop do you worry that you are on cctv ?
79
80 ok i'll stop ranting now, my main point is always have multi layered
81 security - and think about what you are protecting and from whom
82
83 [1] http://xkcd.com/538/
84 [2] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/
85 [3] http://blog.tremily.us/posts/OTP/