From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unable to activate dma mode
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:21:12
1 On Friday, 28 July 2006 22:36, Stefán István wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 > I'm not able to activate dma mode for cdrom drive in my laptop.
4 > # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdd
5 >
6 > /dev/hdd:
7 > setting using_dma to 1 (on)
8 > HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
9 > using_dma = 0 (off)
10 >
11 > [snip]
12 >
13 > I think the problem is that there is no driver for this chipset compiled
14 > into the kernel. But I don't know which driver should be compiled into. I
15 > tried Intel PIIXn but it didn't help.
16 >
17 > Thanks for the help in advance,
18 > István
19
20 You will need to set CONFIG_IDE=n, enable SCSI cdrom support
21 (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR) and enable the Intel PIIX sata driver
22 (CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX).
23
24 DMA should then work perfectly fine. However one side effect is that your
25 cdrom drive will become /dev/sr0, although I guess this can be fixed with a
26 udev rule.
29 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list