From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 13:39:45
1 On Sunday 21 Jul 2013 10:21:45 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:14:22 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > What a lot of work!
4 >
5 > Yes, probably too much.
6 >
7 > > Oh, or I could sacrifice (part of) a swap partition to expand /boot
8 > > into.
9 >
10 > That would be easier, you could always add more swap from an LV, unless
11 > you use it for suspend.
12
13 I have more swap than I need, arranged thus:
14
15 $ grep swap /etc/fstab
16 /dev/sda3 none swap sw,pri=10 0 0
17 /dev/sdb3 none swap sw,pri=10 0 0
18 /dev/sda7 none swap sw,pri=1 0 0
19 /dev/sdb7 none swap sw,pri=1 0 0
20
21 ...in which sdX3 is 2GB (not GBs, Dale - time doesn't come into it ;-) ) and
22 sdX7 is 10GB. Thus the big swap areas are only used when necessary to compile
23 LO, Firefox and pals. I could easily halve sda3 and still have plenty of swap.
24
25 No, I don't suspend this box because it's permanently active running four
26 BOINC jobs at a time.
29 Regards,
30 Peter