From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:41:07
1 Andrew Frink wrote:
4 > On 8/18/06, *Dale* <teendale@×××××××××××××.com
5 > <mailto:teendale@×××××××××××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > Rafael Fernández López wrote:
8 > > Hi,
9 > >
10 > > I've googled and I haven't got any successfull results. I've my
11 > hard disk
12 > > as follows:
13 > >
14 > > /dev/hda1 - ext2 (here will go /boot)
15 > > /dev/hda2 - swap
16 > > /dev/hda3 - ext3 (here will go /)
17 > >
18 > > I've compiled gentoo-sources with NO genkernel, but manually.
19 > I've no
20 > > filesystem as modules, everything is included in kernel (as
21 > asterisk (*)).
22 > >
23 > > I am getting the next error when booting:
24 > >
25 > > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
26 > > block(0,0)
27 > >
28 > > And my bootloader is grub, here is grub.conf:
29 > >
30 > > default 0
31 > > hiddenmenu
32 > > timeout 5
33 > >
34 > > title=Gentoo GNU/Linux
35 > > root (hd0,0)
36 > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.17-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda3
37 > >
38 > > I can't figure out what's going wrong... because I think that I
39 > don't need
40 > > initram because I've nothing compiled as a module.
41 > >
42 > > Thank you very much,
43 > > Rafael Fernández López.
47 > What ever file system you use for /boot and for / must be included IN
48 > the kernel, not as modules. It has to be able to read it for it
49 > to load
50 > the modules.
51 >
52 > That should help.
53 >
54 > Dale
55 >
56 > :-) :-)
57 > --
58 > gentoo-user@g.o <mailto:gentoo-user@g.o> mailing list
61 > Dale
62 > The error seems to be that it doesn't know how to find the drive not
63 > that it doesn't know what FS it is, aslo the OP said that he had no
64 > FS's compiled as modules
65 >
66 > Andrew
67
68 I guess I misread it then. It is common for someone to not put the file
69 system root uses in the kernel though. Me, I don't use modules at all.
70 The only module I have is nvidia.
71
72 Dale
73