From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Different servers behind the same router
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:45:45
1 I have a home server running gentoo for personal use (irc, home
2 entertainment, file server etc.).
3
4 It is reachable from the internet using a dyamic dns service
5 (dyndns.org).
6
7 I also have another machine (running gentoo too) that I use as a web
8 server. This machine uses dyndns.org, with a different name.
9
10 Both machines connect to my modem/router via pppoe so they get 2
11 different IPs.
12
13 This modem can also be configured to be used as a router so it connects
14 directly to the internet and shares the same IP between the clients.
15
16 What happens if I decide to switch to the "router" configuration? If I
17 have a single IP for all the machines in the LAN, when someone from the
18 outside will try to connect to homeserver.foo or to webserver.bar, will
19 they be routed to the correct machine?
20
21 Are there other setups I should look into?
22
24 TopperH