From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Excellent Paludis interview
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:45:15
1 On (19/12/07 20:05) b.n. wrote:
2 > Dirk Heinrichs ha scritto:
3 > > On Wednesday 19 December 2007 17:43:41 Grant wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Has anyone here switched from Portage to Paludis?
6 > >
7 > > Yes, I did it long time ago :-)
8 >
9 > I'd like to try Paludis, looks very promising.
10 > I think I've read that Portage and Paludis can coexist happily. Can
11 > someone confirm it? It would be useful for a transition.
12 >
13 > m.
14 > --
15 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
16 >
17 Hi,
18
19 Yes, they *can* coexist well, but i've some remarks.
20 The config is rather different but concepts remain the same.
21 The paludis vdb-entries have more info but are(were) compatible.
22 Watch out for some scripts (perl-cleaner, claw-mail, etc.) in which the
23 use of portage/emerge is embedded. Put 'paludis' as USE-flag.
24 Have gone to paludis then went back to portage w/o major problems.
25 No support for binary packages yet, some warning/downgrades from the tree.
26 Now using mainly paludis.
27 Please don't consider this 'anti-portage', but just as my choice.
28 For me both are good, only paludis has more features (even now).
29 HTH. Rumen