From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Frozen after Upgrade
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 15:09:18
1 On Monday 03 May 2010 14:49:24 Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > On 5/3/10, Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >> Is there a way I can fix this without having to do a complete
4 > >> reinstall?
5 > >
6 > > I would start by re-emerging xf86-input-keyboard and
7 > > xf86-input-mouse, as suggested in the xorg-server ebuild messages.
8 > >
9 > > -- Remy
10 >
11 > How am I supposed to do this when I can't login and I can't kill X?
12
13 I sense your frustration! We've all been in a tight spot like this.
14 Here's my suggestion:
15
16 Don't allow X to start at boot time. When you see the grub boot menu,
17 select the kernel you want to boot and press "e" for Edit. Then select
18 the kernel command line and press "e" again to edit it. Add
19 softlevel=nonetwork
20 to the end of the line, press Enter and then B. You will then start up
21 with a full set of six VTs (consoles), at which you can do the remerging
22 that's been suggested.
23
24 Personally, I'd do this: emerge -av1 `qlist -I -C x11-drivers`
25
26 With any luck you'll then be able to reboot and run as usual.
27
28 HTH
31 Rgds
32 Peter.