From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wifi: Hardware out of luck ?
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:03:12
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-07-25 12:32]:
2 > On Saturday 25 Jul 2015 10:16:39 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I bought a Wifi USB dongle, on which box was stated: "Linux
6 > > cpmpatible, driver available".
7 > >
8 > > As it seams, it was an advertising:
9 > > The driver is a source code archive of the vendor -
10 > > last updated for kernel ... 2.6.x.
11 > >
12 > > lsusb reports:
13 > > Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless
14 > > Adapter
15 >
16 > I don't mean to sound pessimistic but my experience of fighting to get a
17 > Ralink USB dongle working many years ago left me disappointed. I was trying
18 > to use an opensource driver back then and it was terribly unstable. If you
19 > can, I recommend to go back to the shop and buy something with an atheros
20 > chipset which worked for me every time with in-kernel drivers.
23 > > lspci does not say anything about this device.
24 >
25 > You need the correct driver, which I understand is not in the kernel tree yet.
28 > > I compiled "everything Ralink" into the kernel (4.1.3, vanilla),
29 > > but still get only lsusb recognizing this.
30 > >
31 > > Any hope to get it running nonetheless somehow?
32 >
33 > Go the the MediaTek website and download the appropriate linux driver. Then
34 > follow instructions here to install it manually:
35 >
36 > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2206873
37 >
38 > Finally modprobe the newly built mt7601Usta module and the device should
39 > hopefully show up.
40 >
41 > --
42 > Regards,
43 > Mick
46 Hi Mick,
47
48 THAT helps me! I already did download the driver sources...for kernel
49 2.6.x...ieeekkks!
50 I will look for something with an Atheros chipset. I already found
51 some product names...
52
53 Thanks a lot again! :)
54 Best regards