From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo decapitated
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 14:57:52
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > About a week ago, my Gentoo box was in a bad state where there were
3 > some packages that would not install, so I was carefully emerging what
4 > I could and filed a bug about one in particular that I could not emerge.
5 >
6 > Then I got a new kernel, 2.6.32-gentoo-r7, and I booted from it.
7 > Eeeek. No X11 at all.
8 > The logs informed me about some things to do, and I did them,
9 > re-emerging a number of things. I paid particular attention to
10 > emerging anything with x11 or xorg in its name.
11 > Long wait.
12 > I got to a point somewhere in there where X11 started, but would
13 > recognize neither keyboard nor mouse.
14 > I kept going. The keyboard started to work. I could actually log in,
15 > but that's not all that useful without a mouse.
16 > Then I started getting complaints about USE flags needed to make some
17 > particular packages support some other packages. I did those too.
18 > Now I'm at the state where "emerge -aDNvu" denies there's any work to
19 > do, and revdep-rebuild reports health.
20 > Still no mouse.
21 > Fortunately, I have a laptop that can ssh into the box and I can work
22 > with it, but it's still essentially headless.
23 > Anybody run into this state recently?
24 > If there's a quick fix, I'd rather not make another bug.
25 > --
26 > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
29 Have you tried this:
30
31 emerge -1a $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)
32
33 I have upgraded my kernel before without rebuilding these but they are
34 small and only take a few minutes. Your mileage may vary.
35
36 The mouse drivers should be in that list. If not, then something is
37 missing in your set up.
38
39 Dale
40